- Loan interview
- Assessment of loan application
- Decision of approval
- Loan limit
- Payment method
- Loan repayments
- Where can I get more information?
The Evoloan Scheme provides interest free loans to Evolve Housing tenants for the purchase of essential white goods and IT products including computers, laptops, and tablets.
To provide Evolve Housing tenants with access to credit to purchase essential white goods such as a refrigerator, washing machine, energy efficient heater or medical equipment. The loan involves a repayment plan tailored to suit their own individual financial circumstances (without the penalty of interest payments) and will enable Evolve Housing tenants to get a useful credit reference.
- The scheme will enable tenants to buy an appliance when they need it most. Most people on low income find it hard to build up savings. Often the need for an appliance is urgent, such as when a fridge or washing machine breaks down, or when setting up a new household. "Doing without" involves a grim standard of living – hand washing clothes every day or being unable to keep perishable food.
- The scheme will create a cost effective way to obtain essential white goods for households. Alternatives such as commercial Laundromats or rented appliances are more expensive.
- Evoloans will be used for the purchase of new appliances only. New appliances will help tenants save money by avoiding the trap of maintaining an unreliable old appliance that requires frequent repairs incurring ongoing costs.
- Evoloans will enable Evolve Housing tenants to gain control of their financial situation.
- Evoloans will save Evolve Housing tenants from loan sharks and fringe lenders.
Evolve Housing tenants who wish to apply for a loan must firstly be interviewed by the Community Engagement Team. A loan application form will be completed by the applicant and then reviewed by the interviewers. All Applicants when applying for a loan will be asked to present a photo ID.
- To be eligible, the applicant must be a permanent tenant of Evolve Housing
- As a tenant on the Supported Housing Program, the tenancy must be the duration of 12 months or longer, and a support letter from the Support Partner must accompany the application for the loan
The applicant must also:
- Have no more than $100 in non-rent debt including water charges
- Be two weeks in advance on their rent
- Have the ability to repay the loan (a budget will be worked out at this time to determine a possible repayment plan)
In addition to the above criteria, Evolve Housing will also consider the following factors:
- The nature of goods required
- The financial circumstances of the applicant
- The purpose of the loan
- The ability of the applicant to repay the loan
Assessments of loan applications will be carried out by the Community Development Officer and approved by Tenant Engagement and Social Inclusion Coordinator. Assessments will be based on the eligibility criteria listed above.
Assessments will not be influenced by the applicant’s gender, age disability, sexuality, and race, political or religious beliefs.
The Interviewing Officer will provide some consumer education during the interview providing the applicant with information about the need to shop around for the best price, warranty, electricity consumption and environmental friendliness.
The applicant will be advised in writing of whether the loan has been approved or not. If the loan is approved the applicant will be asked to meet with the Interviewing Officer to sign a Loan Agreement form. During this meeting strategies for repayment will be discussed.
- As a guide for long-term tenants, the Evoloan grants may not exceed $1200 per applicant
- For Formal Supported tenants where their support period extends beyond 12 months the loan limit may not exceed $600
- Amount approved will be determined by the tenant’s ability to repay the loan within a 12 month period
The whole transaction will be carried out cashless (no cash will be exchanged). The payment for appliances will be directly made to the vendor’s account electronically or by cheque.
As payment will include (whether negotiated or paid) delivery charge, the goods will be delivered to the recipient’s place of residence.
Repayments will vary according to the applicant’s ability to repay loan and taking into account the applicant’s current financial commitments.
- Loan repayment terms are for up to12 months
- A minimum repayment of $25 per week is required
Under special circumstances the repayment plan can be varied. The loan recipient will need to complete a Loan Variation Form and a copy of the Variation will be held by Evolve Housing and the loan recipient.
Repayments will be made through direct debit only.
9-13 Argyle Street, Parramatta NSW 2150
1800myevolve (1800 693 865) or email@example.com
If you are in need of a new fridge and your current one is more than six years old you could be eligible for the Appliance Replacement Offer run by the Office of Environment and Heritage where they will give you a discount of up to 40% on a more energy efficient appliance. You could combine an EvoLoan with this offer. Find out more and apply here. Please note this scheme is not run by Evolve Housing and all enqurieis should be directed to the Office of Environment and Heritage.